Saturday, September 19, 2009

The gift of today

". . . For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe even if you were told." Habakkuk 1: 5

OK - I know, I know - I just wrote about this same verse my last post. The problem is that when I was reflecting on this verse the other day, God was taking me this direction and then I went to Step by Step and I felt He wanted me to share how I saw the verse in action there.

But, I can't let the gift message go, so decided to share it as well.

Two wise, Godly women whom I'm blessed to know, Mimi and Shelley, the authors of "Holy Habits," spoke at a Holiday brunch I attended in 2007. Their gift to each attendee was a Chinese take out box - mine is pictured above. One of their teachings that day was to use visual clues as prayer reminders. Can you guess what the take-out box is a clue to?

No, it's not food or China related! Mimi suggested sitting it on your bedside table or dresser where you can see it first thing every morning even before you get out of bed. It is to remind you that each day is a gift from God. He is just waiting to unwrap blessings and opportunities (& yes, often times challenges!) for us each and every day! She suggested starting each day praying thanks to God for the gift of today and then asking Him to show you how He can use you that day.

When I read the verse above, it reminded me that God would absolutely love it if we approached each day with the same level of anticipation and excitement we have when we spot the biggest, brightest present under the tree on Christmas morning and realize it has our name on it! He would love it if we just cannot wait to see what He has planned for us that day just like we can't wait to see what's inside that great big box! Whether we rip the paper off in a rush or calmly and methodically remove it without tearing is up to us, but the gift inside is all ours! The same is true of God's gift of each day to us - it is all ours and He gave it specially to each of us! If He told us what was in it before we saw it, we couldn't even begin to believe all He had planned!

The next time you're tempted to groan and grumble about getting out of bed picture a brightly wrapped gift - or a white take out box - and realize that God has once again blessed you with the gift of another day!

What has God said to you today through this verse?

My prayer for today:

Gracious Heavenly Father, thank you, thank you , thank you - for the gift of today, yesterday and tomorrow! Please forgive me for the days I forget to thank you and ask you to show me or tell me what I can do for you today. Please help each of us keep our focus on you and keep the world with all its distractions, fatigue and tempations from interferring. Lord, please help us remember that your gift of today is also an opportunity for us to give back to you through our obedience and through serving others in your name and for your glory. Thank you, Lord Jesus! It's in your precious name, I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment