Sunday, September 27, 2009

Gossip? Who, me?!

And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father. Colossians 3:17 (New Living Translation)

This is one of my favorite verses and I try to live by it every day. Sometimes it's definitely not an easy thing to do! It's a very serious (& sometimes scary!) responsibility to be a representative of our Lord Jesus!

Several years ago God convinced me not to gossip. Let me tell you, that was such a challenge at the beginning that I often struggled to come up with something to talk about! When I was growing up, my mother always told me if I didn't have something good to say, not to say anything at all. Although I usually tried to be obedient to her, reminding myself that I am a representative of the Lord Jesus is an even stronger motivation to keeping my lips zipped!

It's funny how people pick up on you not participating in gossip without you telling them. At the beginning, I did tell some friends, but since we've moved and the people I'm around at work and elsewhere haven't really heard me gossip, they usually don't tell me gossip. When you don't know much gossip, it's much easier not to repeat it. I am thankful that temptations into this area are kept to a minimum in my life these days. Thank you, Jesus!

When co-workers, friends and family are aware you are a Christian, whether they consciously realize it or not, they are always watching you. Admit it, you watch and notice when your Christian friends do or say something that it not very "Christ-like." When I fall victim to "un-Christ like" behavior, what really burdens me is the possible effect that observing this could have on someone who is not yet a believer or is a new believer. I met a woman at a women's ministry leadership conference a few years ago who shared with us that she would have committed her life to Christ literally years sooner if it had not been for the behavior she observed in Christian women!

Keeping in mind that whatever I say or do I should do it "as a representative of the Lord Jesus" is a serious responsibility for sure. But, it is also an awesome privilege that I am blessed with as a child of God. I am forever thankful for this responsibility and privilege as well as for the blessings that result from living in obedience.

What about you? How do you feel about living your life as a representative of our Lord Jesus? Will someone observing how you live your life realize you are a believer and follower of Jesus? Has God shown you an area of your life you need to work on?

What has God said to you today through this verse?

My prayer for today:

Father God, thank you so much for loving me. Thank you for being patient with me and most of all for forgiving me when I don't live up to your expections of me as your representative. You know even better than I do that gossip is just one area you have shown me over the years that I need to change in my life.

The world is so loud! Even when we know in our hearts that following Your example is the very best way to live, it can be such a struggle to keep the world from creeping in. Father, thank you for the privilege of being your chosen child and thank you for putting me here on earth for your purposes. It is my heart's desire to glorify you in all I say, do and think each and every day. You know I can't do it without you by my side each step of each day. I thank you for always being right there with me. Thank you for forgiveness and mercy. Thank you for the sacifice you made through your son, Jesus Christ, going to the cross to bear the burden for my sins and those of each person who trusts Him with their life. It's in His precious name, I pray. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. "Speak not evil of one of another, brethren, he that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law,and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge. There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?"
    James 4:11-12

    Pray for me Dear Sister & Friend that I will always be a "Living Prayer & Testimony" for our Heavenly Father....For "gossip" is "judging" & we are very much "accountable".....

    ReplyDelete