Sunday, July 19, 2009

I feel like dancing!

" David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the LORD with all his might." 2 Samuel 6:14


WOO HOO! I just scored 100% doing the vocals of "Spirit in the Sky" on Rock Band 2!! Do I feel like dancing? You betcha! As someone who absolutely stinks at most video type games, this was quite an accomplishment for me! Of course, doing vocals doesn't require much hand-eye coordination, so that helps!


In this passage of 2 Samuel, David had a much better reason for "leaping and dancing before the LORD" (2 Sam 6: 16) than a good score on Rock Band - he had just brought the ark of the LORD inside the tent that he had pitched expecially for it. Can you imagine being in the presence of the ark of the Lord? How could you keep from singing, dancing, worshiping and praising the Lord?!


Wait a minute - we're in the presence in the Lord every minute of every day! But, if you're like me, you often lose sight of that amazing fact and take Him for granted way too much. It's easier to remember to thank him for saving my life when I had a heart attack than it is to praise Him for the abundant blessings He gives me each and every day.


Several years ago when I volunteered with the youth ministry in our church, it was popular to for them to do interpretive dance. I'll never forgot one of the moms turning to me after one of the performances and whispering, "How is THAT worship?" I guess she'd never read 2 Samuel 6!

God gives us lots and lots of reasons each and every day to dance, praise and worship him. Just a few I can think of . . . a recent AWESOME family vacation at the beach . . . a wonderful God-honoring family . . . healthy, happy, growing, smiling twin grandbabies . . . the opportunity to worship and serve at a Jesus-loving, mission-minded church . . . and yes, even a bit of success at Rock Band! I could go on and on with big and tiny things that I thank the Lord for and that make me want to dance before the Him with all my might!

What does your list look like?


How has God spoken to you today through this scripture?

No comments:

Post a Comment