Sunday, August 2, 2009

Hope, peace and joy

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15: 13

Our church is reading through the New Testament and are just about through Romans. From the beginning David and I decided to read out loud together after dinner and it has really been a blessing to share this time with him. When we read Roman's 15:13, I noticed I had a star next to it and the date 09/07.

Since I count on him to be my memory, I said "wonder what that means", but before he could answer, it hit me - that's when we moved to Lexington. As I re-read it out loud, I looked at him and said, "that's what we did - trusted Him."

Trust Him, we did and trust Him we still do - even when we don't understand and even when things don't seem to make sense.

When my job was eliminated in May 2007, we turned the situation over to the Lord. The one thing we decided was that we wanted to stay in the Bowling Green area because we wanted to stay in close proximity to family - even if it meant not working at the ideal job or making the most money. In late June/early July I saw a job posting in Lexington that was a perfect match to my experience. When I asked David if he thought I should apply, he told me to continue doing what I'd been doing all summer - apply for positions that interested me and then turn it over to God to figure out if it was where He wanted me or not. So, I applied. So much for our decision to stay in BG!

Throughout the 2 month process from when I applied until I accepted the offer and started my job in Lexington, God made it perfectly clear to both of us that we needed to trust Him, be obedient in accepting the position and moving away from our family. He would work out the details of selling the house (which He did - it sold to the first people who looked at it) and everything else. He filled us with peace throughout the decisions and with joy in the anticipation of what He had in store for us in Lexington.

I needed the reminder of this verse. The hope, peace and joy only the Holy Spirit can provide is what I need to pray for each and every day.

What about you? What did God say to you today through this verse?

My prayer for today:

Father God, thank you so much for sending your son Jesus to the Cross as a sacrifice for our sins. Thank you for sending your Holy Spirit to guide and comfort us as well as to give us the hope and power than can only come through you. Lord, please forgive me when I lose sight of all you have sacrificed for me and get caught up in what I perceive as sacrifices I'm making. I pray that each day you will empty me of Terry and all my human issues and fill me to overflowing with your Holy Spirit so everyone I encounter sees and feels the love of Jesus Christ in my words and actions. Thank you so much . . . .In Jesus' precious name, I pray. AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment