Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Good grief!


"Even in laughter the heart may ache, and joy may end in grief." Proverbs 14:13

As you may have read in a previous post, we didn't plan to move to Lexington almost two years ago - we wanted to stay in Bowling Green where we lived for the past 24 years, and where our children (& now grandchildren!), my mother & step-father, David's brother, friends, etc. all live in or nearby. You get the picture. But God had different plans and brought us here.

Since we are only about 3 hours away, we try to visit pretty often - especially during the past 8 months since our precious twin grandbabies were born! It's been 5 weeks since we've last seen them and it's about to kill us! And, we still have about 1 1/2 weeks to go before we see them!

"Even in laughter the heart may ache, and joy may end in grief."
That verse perfectly describes my heart during some of our visits to BG. I can't wait to get there! Our visits always include so much laughter and fun, but I sometimes find myself missing them in the midst of the visit - anticipating the loss of their company while I'm still in the room with them! How crazy is that? We often have a silent ride home as the joy of the visit deflates with each mile we drive. Our youngest daughter, Sarah, recently spent about a week with us prior to moving to New Orleans and the emotions were the same - heart ache amidst the joy.

It was such a relief when God showed me that I have been experiencing grief, not for the loss of a loved one who departed the earth, but for the loss of our family life as we lived it & loved it for so many years. We will never be that same family we were 5 years ago or even 5 months ago. But, He has also reminded me that no amount of miles can take away our memories or our love for one another.

Recognizing my feelings as grief is helping me work through them and to recapture the excitement we had when God first brought us here! My heart's desires is to be a vessel for Him to use, so I can't wait to see what He has planned for us ahead! Just two chapters later in Proverbs 16: 3-4, God promises us "Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. The LORD works out everything for his own ends -"

My prayer for today:
My most gracious heavenly Father, thank you so much for your Word. I pray for my thirst for Your Word to continue to grow and grow - you have all the answers! I don't know why we ever bother to look anywhere else for guidance. Thank you for being the Great I Am and for always knowing just what I need to hear. Thank you so much for including me in your plans! Help me to keep my focus on you and to never forget that my true joy is in you and you alone. I don't want to let circumstances interfere with that. I love you and praise you for who you are and thank you so much for always keeping your promises. In your son, Jesus' precious name, I pray . . .

What has God said to you today through this scripture?

(In case you've never met them, Spencer and Kate are above - aka: precious grandbabies! And, thank you, Jenny, for the use of your photo.)

No comments:

Post a Comment