Thursday, August 20, 2009

Today is the day you worried about yesterday . . .

"Do not fret - it only causes harm" Psalm 37:8
"Commit your Way to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass." Psalm 37: 5

This weekend we were at my brother-in-law's home, which is the home he and my husband grew up in. Although he has done extensive remodeling, he still has many items in the home that belonged to my in-laws.

It was nice to see an embroidered piece I did for my sweet mother-in-law, Kathleen, many years ago hanging on the kitchen wall. It says "Today is the day you worried about yesterday and all is well." Kathleen was a wonderful Godly woman with strong faith, but she was also a worrier. I made the sampler for her, but at that time in my life, it was advice I benefited from as well!

I think one of the biggest changes Jesus Christ has made in my life is in the area of worrying. I used to lay awake at night fretting over this and that - probably most of it were things that didn't matter much, but to me at the time, they were real sleep robbing concerns. I have a vivid imagination and can make something out of nothing in the blink of an eye! Back then I didn't always think about turning my concerns over to God in prayer - unless it was the "God, if you'll fix this for me this time, I promise I'll never do that again: kind of prayer.

I am so thankful that God has so much patience, mercy, love and forgiveness and has worked so hard to convict me not to worry, but instead to turn my concerns over to Him. Some days it's easier than others and some days I don't quite succeed, but (Praise the Lord!) I can't remember the last time I had a sleepless night! Now when I am tempted to worry about something, I count on Jesus to help me abide by Matthew 11:28-30, " Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you nad learn from me for I am gentle and humble in hears and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

AHHHH! What a relief!

My prayer for today:

Dear Lord, thank you so much for teaching me to rely on you. You have proven to me time and time again that you are in control. And, you do such an excellent job! I am so thankful you call me your own and continue to teach me new lessons each and every day - even the tough ones. Thank you so much for loving me. In Jesus name, I pray. Amen.

What did God say to you today through these verses?

No comments:

Post a Comment