Sunday, August 16, 2009

Scary Thought

"For as he thinks within himself, so he is . . . " Proverbs 23:7 NASB

We had a wonderful worship service this morning at Center Point Church in Lexington, KY. We heard from mission team members who recently returned from a week serving God in Brazil - it's always amazing and encouraging to hear and see how God is such a huge God and works in and through people throughout the world. I have to admit that hearing them and seeing the glow on their faces made me reminiscent of my mission trips and, yes, a bit jealous! But, I know in my heart that God can use us just as well here as internationally.

As always, at CPC, the music was awesome and "worshipful." But, what hit me closest to home was Tim's message. Based upon Philippians 4:8, it was part of a series on Philippians entitled "Living Life to the Fullest."

Philippians 4:8 says:
Finally, brethren,whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

How does that verse make you feel? At first read, my response is something like, "Absolutely, Lord! That's exactly what I want to do!" And I sincerely mean it. However, living it every minute of every hour of every day is another matter.

Then Tim quoted Proverbs 23:7: "For as he thinks within himself, so he is . . ." . What a scary thought! But, it was just what I needed to hear. I know that I cannot obey Philippians 4:8 on my own. When left to myself, I will drown in a sea of negativity & who knows what else. Jesus is my lifeline to the life He wants me to live and to the life I want to live. And, it's a lifeline I need many times each and every day - that's why He instructs us to dwell on these things.

My prayer for today:

Lord Jesus, thank you for being my lifeline. Thank you for wanting more of me than I can imagine. Thank you for a wonderful church home where we hear your truth each and every time we gather. Thank you for putting people in our lives who remind us of who you are, who we are, what you expect of us and show us how we can get there. Please forgive me for all the times I fall short and thank you for your mercy and forgiveness. I love you.

What did God say to you today through these verses?

1 comment:

  1. I hope & pray you heard of the song......"Don't Throw The Clay Away".....I have a Dear Friend & Sister In Christ back home in Floyd County that sung it with such grace & beauty.....This is the first thought that came to mind when I read these scriptures today.....I Praise My God that He made it possible that I am not a "THROW AWAY".....That he seen fit that Mary Magdelene wasn't....nor Peter.....or Paul....or the poor man that hung beside our Blessed Savior the day he hung upon the Cross....We live in a society of nothing less than total "perfection".....People must be "young"...."thin"...."beautiful"....I am so thankful my Heavenly Father doesn't see me as the world sees me.... That He molds me & makes me....and doesn't throw the Clay Away.......

    ReplyDelete